I've been thrown a few curve balls this year with Trey. Some days I've been nervous mom and other days I been novice nurse. "Do I call the doctor for this wheezing today?" "Is the noise he's having when he cries just a hoarse voice or stridor?" At three months old when they told us Trey had trouble swallowing and that he was wheezing, I would watch him for hours. Brad would look at me and say, "What are you looking at?" I would respond, "I'm watching him breath!" He would say, "Watching for what?". What a great question! What am I watching for:
Chest retractions- http://www.webmd.com/asthma/chest-retractions
Respirations- http://www.articles.complexchild.com/march2009/00114.pdf
His skin color
I'm listening for wheezing when he breaths- http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/advice_from_doctors/your_childs_health/wheezing-infants
Coughing
Trey has had a cold just about every month since September. I spoke with his pulmonologist about that today. Since treys lungs have been compromised as a result of irritation from the early aspiration, he is more susceptible to colds. Colds are usually a viral infection and can only be cured with time and treatment of the symptoms. These are some of the curve balls I referred to earlier. It has taken Trey on average 2-3 weeks to be symptom free from the cold viruses and about a week of health before the next bug. The doctor told me that is something we can expect to deal with during the winter months this year as an ongoing battle because of the cold weather. I asked him if we needed to move to Florida. Ha ha! He said, "If that is a feasible option, that would be beneficial!" Although there are no plans for us to move, it is tempting. For now, we are back to breathing treatments every four hours. He remains on a daily pulmicort nebulizer to keep inflammation in his lungs down. This will help prevent any long term damage to his lung tissue. Each cold he's had has been a little different. The most recent one started three days ago with a fever 100.9 and a runny nose. It has progressed into more of a cough and hoarse voice. This was my main concern and the reason I talked to his doctor (on his day off). He reassured me that we are doing what we should be and "keep watching him". I will say, I've gotten pretty good at watching:)
I was in church yesterday and we sang a song that really touched me. It's called "Always" by Kristian Stanfill. You can find the song and lyrics here; http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/kristianstanfill/always.html
As we are singing, I'm really asking myself, "Am I living in fear or is my trust in God? Is my refuge in Him? Am I lifting my eyes to him and truly asking for his help or depending on my own strength and knowledge to carry me through this season in my life. It brought me to tears. I tried to stop but I just couldn't. God has a way of just stepping in and showing me that He is in control and I am not. It's amazing how He spoke to me through that music. What a peace it gives me each day to know there's someone walking beside me saying, "I will never leave you!" God is good all the time, and all the time God is good.
His skin color
I'm listening for wheezing when he breaths- http://www.dukehealth.org/health_library/advice_from_doctors/your_childs_health/wheezing-infants
Coughing
Trey has had a cold just about every month since September. I spoke with his pulmonologist about that today. Since treys lungs have been compromised as a result of irritation from the early aspiration, he is more susceptible to colds. Colds are usually a viral infection and can only be cured with time and treatment of the symptoms. These are some of the curve balls I referred to earlier. It has taken Trey on average 2-3 weeks to be symptom free from the cold viruses and about a week of health before the next bug. The doctor told me that is something we can expect to deal with during the winter months this year as an ongoing battle because of the cold weather. I asked him if we needed to move to Florida. Ha ha! He said, "If that is a feasible option, that would be beneficial!" Although there are no plans for us to move, it is tempting. For now, we are back to breathing treatments every four hours. He remains on a daily pulmicort nebulizer to keep inflammation in his lungs down. This will help prevent any long term damage to his lung tissue. Each cold he's had has been a little different. The most recent one started three days ago with a fever 100.9 and a runny nose. It has progressed into more of a cough and hoarse voice. This was my main concern and the reason I talked to his doctor (on his day off). He reassured me that we are doing what we should be and "keep watching him". I will say, I've gotten pretty good at watching:)
I was in church yesterday and we sang a song that really touched me. It's called "Always" by Kristian Stanfill. You can find the song and lyrics here; http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/kristianstanfill/always.html
As we are singing, I'm really asking myself, "Am I living in fear or is my trust in God? Is my refuge in Him? Am I lifting my eyes to him and truly asking for his help or depending on my own strength and knowledge to carry me through this season in my life. It brought me to tears. I tried to stop but I just couldn't. God has a way of just stepping in and showing me that He is in control and I am not. It's amazing how He spoke to me through that music. What a peace it gives me each day to know there's someone walking beside me saying, "I will never leave you!" God is good all the time, and all the time God is good.
No comments:
Post a Comment