Sunday, January 27, 2013

Blessings

Our family chose to start the year with a one word family mission statement. After several conversations with the girls and between Brad and I, we decided that this year our word is blessings. We've made it our goal to praise God for the blessings in every situation or circumstance. It is also our intention to be blessings in the lives of others. We want to shine a light through what we speak and through our actions with others. We are also working on prayer. Our stack of Christmas cards turned in to our prayer book this year. This is something we look forward to every mealtime with our family.

We have been surrounded by the love and prayers of our family and friends these past four months while Trey has been learning to swallow. This has helped carry us and uplift us during this diffucult time. What a blessing you all have been!

We followed up on Tuesday with Treys pulmonary specialist. I discussed with the doctor the frequency of which Trey has had respiratory symptoms this winter as well as his continued spitting up/coughing and irritability trend. The doctor was not very talkative this appointment nor was he very encouraging. He asked a few questions, listened to his lungs and typed on his computer. He mentioned that with Trey still wheezing on the thickened formula he was concerned and wanted to get a chest X-ray and repeat his swallow study. He mentioned that the next step might be a gastronomy tube (g-tube), but he didn't feel that was a conversation that needed to happen until after the swallow study. We prayed hard that the test would show that he wasn't aspirating.

Our prayers were heard! At Trey's rehab swallow study on Jan. 22nd he was not aspirating the nectar thick liquids. He did show some mild penetration with this thickness but this was not concerning to the speech therapist. Anita and Kelly our speech therapist felt Trey was doing well on the nectar thickness and pureed baby foods. They did not feel it was necessary to make an changes to his feeding regimen at this time. We attempted to give him thin liquids, but were unsuccessful. He wasn't hungry anymore or he just wasn't interested in drinking from a bottle he wasn't used too:( From my perspective, it was a positive day in the radiology department and we were not going backwards.

This did not answer the question, "Why is Trey still wheezing?" I have not had a child with reflux, but he shows some classic signs of reflux that I discussed with the speech therapists. I am still awaiting confirmation and explanation from the specialist, but we believe that Trey's symptoms are a result of his reflux. His behavior is pretty typical of a child with reflux. He is irritable after he eats. I can hear noises in his throat and then coughing follows. He doesn't like to lay on his back. He has pretty constant congestion in his nose. I would love to hear from some mom's who have children with reflux (symptoms, positioning, helpful tips for feeding, medications/remedies that were helpful, how long it lasted and any other input you think would be helpful). I found this website helpful when reading up on reflux http://www.entsurgicalillinois.com/conditions-reflux-children-ent-otolaryngology-joliet-in.html.

In an attempt to keep this post to the point, we are happy with Trey's progress and today he is breathing well. He is still on treatments 3-4 per day. His pediatrician gave me a report that his x-ray looked fine and his swallow study went well. He indicated no concern with either tests, although he deferred any changes in treatment to our specialist. We are suppose to hear from the specialist office tomorrow regarding both of his tests. He also goes for his ABR hearing test in the morning and follows up with the ENT doctor after his tests. I am optimistic that his hearing is at normal levels.




1 comment:

  1. I like your yearly canvas that your family does. I keep meaning to copy you. You always have such great ideas! I have been thinking about doing one since before Christmas, but get overwelmed thinking about going to the store to get supplies, where to hang it etc. Love the idea though! You guys are a blessing!

    ReplyDelete