I have had a couple people ask me questions lately about Trey that I was unable to answer. I welcome any questions my friends and family have about Trey's health, or anyone's health for that matter. It has been told to me that the teacher is always the one who learns more than the student. When people ask me questions it challenges me to find an educated answer. It also helps me to look at things from a different perspective that maybe I hadn't thought of before. I was asked this week, "Are the doctors saying Trey has Asthma?" I didn't consider that a possibility but I guess he could. He presents like an asthma with wheezing, increased respiratory rate and a cough when he gets sick but from what I have read he does not have asthma, nor have the doctors ever mentioned anything that would suggest he has it. As far as in the future, I'm not sure. I read an article today in RT magazine online that discussed acid aspiration and the effects on the lungs. http://www.rtmagazine.com/news/16336-acid-aspiration-inflammation-and-resolution From what I understand, it could potentially lead to chronic illnesses but the doctors have said all along that Trey should grow out of the aspiration and hopefully that means he will not have any long term effects on his lungs. He is given pulmicort daily to maintain minimal inflammation in his airways. He has never had pneuomia or any other infection in his lungs. I remain confident even after reading this article that he will be running on the basketball court one day without any memory of months on nebulizers and medications:)
Another helpful website that explains aspiration as well as the connection with Gastroesophageal reflux (GER)- http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1005303-overview.
Or riding bikes with Crazy Uncle Me... Never know!
ReplyDeleteThat too! I'd be proud either way!
Delete